So you'd like to visit us? Great! Read on...
To visit Kanthaus you'll need a host. A host is a current Volunteer or Member who is happy to show you around, introduce you to others and generally be responsible for making sure you and others have a Good Time™. Because people are quite busy here, it's not certain that there will always be someone available to host you, so please arrange this before you arrive. You can contact us via Slack or email, or if you know someone who can host you, you can just arrange it through them.
The buildings were built in the 1880s and have suffered decades of questionable building practices. Our ongoing renovation works mean that some parts of Kanthaus are more or less building-sites. We must ask you to take responsibility for your safety and to be generally observant. Please be aware of:
- Sharp objects on the floor/ground. (Take care if walking barefoot.)
- Hylotox 59 pesticide (Lindane and DDT) in the wood of the attic: please read and follow safety signs before going there.
Unfortunately Kanthaus has accessibility issues: everything is spread out over 3 floors and there are three steps at the front door. If you have issues with accessibility and would like to visit, please let us know about your needs and we can talk about how/if we can make it work.
We have a Constitution and Collective Agreements which you accept by visiting. These documents outline the processes and rules we have set for ourselves. Just to highlight two points: we do not permit indoor smoking and we wish to discuss bringing non-human animals (e.g. dogs) on a case-by-case basis. Additionally:
- Please do not up- or download any illegal content.
- Please be quiet in the garden after 22.00 and limit grilling/garden fires out of respect for our neighbors.
If you want to use our spaces with your group to work on projects in line with our values, we're happy about it! Everything written on this page is also true for groups. Only exception: A group only needs one host and not one for every individual.
We already had quite some groups here and this process proved useful:
- Write to us and explain your ideas.
- The more info you can give, the easier for us. The amount of people, your room needs and the time frame are the points of most interest.
- We really appreciate having one person acting as the main contact to ensure good communication.
- If nobody of you has ever visited Kanthaus, we recommend you send someone before your planned meeting to check out in person if your expectations and our house fit together.
- If possible, the main contact should arrive on the evening before your event starts to discuss the details and do all potential prep work together with us.
- During your stay here your group should get involved in saving food and/or cooking. Before you leave you should make sure the rooms you were using are in the same state as they were when you arrived.
- There is no individual price for staying here; we have collective costs of ~€15,000 p.a. If you would like to donate, you can.
- We practice functional living and don't allocate personal rooms by default. If this topic is new to you or if you'd like a room reserved for you, please talk to your host.
- We save almost all food we eat. That means you don't do anybody a favor if you buy food for us. If you want to be nice and contribute something, it's much better to simply put some money into our donation box.
- It is possible to stay at Kanthaus longer, but it depends on multiple factors. First just come for a visit and see how that works out. If staying longer is of interest to you, talk to your host about positions and evaluations.
- Your host should give you a house tour and explain the basics soon after your arrival. If you want a sneak peak you can already read the accompanying document.
The address is Kantstraße 20, Wurzen 04808. Please mention "phancy physalis" when you first contact us so that we know you've read this document.
Kanthaus eagerly awaits you!